Second gear, gone but not forgotten

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
MILKWEED
First and Last Name: Mark Johnson

Second gear, gone but not forgotten

Post by MILKWEED »

[attachment=0]20190106_125110.jpg[/attachment I got around to pulling the transaxle today and found why second gear don't work, guess I'm getting into a deeper into it.
Attachments
20190106_125110.jpg
20190106_125110.jpg (2.33 MiB) Viewed 5224 times

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Re: Second gear, gone but not forgotten

Post by JMotuzick »

Looks like someone was doing some power shifting?

Make sure you change both top and bottom gears as a set, otherwise you will be going back and doing it again. Don’t ask how I know....

Second gear is the only one to have changed over the years, most used a 19 tooth on top. These are the most common, I should even have a couple boxes of you need a set. If you want to change them to 17 or 16 tooth you can with no modifications. Ive also found Midwest supper cub to be cheepest on the whole gasket set.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Wow.
I have all three ratios if needed.
DSCN8277.JPG
DSCN8277.JPG (1023.22 KiB) Viewed 5208 times
The big thing here in my opinion is that you need to account for every one of those teeth that chipped off.
You do not want those things swimming around inside the gear box.

MILKWEED

Post by MILKWEED »

Thanks for the gear offers, I guess I should have waited before buying the complete set from theebay, but at least I have a complete gear set if I find more damage as I get into it deeper, although everything looks good and it drives in the gears except 2nd, yeah Im going to have to find all 16 teeth and then flush it a couple times to get the small slivers out. Im thinking if I completely fill the gear box with some light oil, like hyd jack oil or something then turn the gearbox with a drill or something while I drain it. Do that a couple of times in each gear at least then fill and run it a few times and drain it again, going to put a magnetic plug in it and if theres room a small magnet in the diff housing.

MILKWEED

Post by MILKWEED »

I guess I know why the driveshaft looks bent and chatters a little too, I just ordered a whole new assembly so I can pull the motor after putting the rear back together, now I might as well paint it as long as its all apart. LOL

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Mark
Ken is right get them all out, you will need to get it pretty much empty to change them I just dumped the whole thing on the bench and swept it away. Washed it good in the parts washer and reassembled. I didn’t count....

Ducking as ken throws those gears at me!

MILKWEED

Post by MILKWEED »

Joe, I was hoping that I could get away with changing out 2nd/3rd gear only if the bottom gear looked good, my thought was it being a slow speed gearbox it might whine a little but wouldn't hurt anything, what happened that caused you to tear it down again.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Not sure really, the tractor was/is not mine. I had a guy buy some parts and I agreed to fit the stripped second gear. It was fixed with new parts. 3 years and a move on my part later stripped gears again. Not sure what really caused either brakeage. It’s been about a 10 months, as far as I know it’s still going.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Nah, not me that's not my disposition :lol: I got 2 lifetimes worth of excessive gears here and just tryin to help out that's all.
That's serious major damage there and I wonder what the lower looks like :?: Who knows just yet-
But sometimes with those it's like a zipper affect, those gears are really, really hardened.
Some time back I was lucky enough to just have to change out the upper. And it worked just fine after.
BUT it was only one broken tooth. Took me near forever to find that thing. It had nested itself up in one of the oil run down galleys on the side just waiting to jump down into the gear train. KLABOOM!

MILKWEED

Post by MILKWEED »

Once I get the top gears out I can get a closer look at the lowers and check for cracks and chipped teeth etc on the lowers, preliminary "look" seems ok, but I will see. Im getting all gears friday so Im changing anything that looks iffy this weekend.

MILKWEED

Post by MILKWEED »

I got the gears changed, the replacement 2nd gear is a 19 tooth so I had to change the matching lower, it was chipped a little anyway so its a happy gearbox again. I replaced axle seals and input shaft seal on the reduction gear and cleaned all the shavings as best I could, I filled with some 0w20 from my last oil change and will run it a little to flush it then drain and refill. Thanks for the advice guys.