Valspar paint for CC

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
MILKWEED
First and Last Name: Mark Johnson

Valspar paint for CC

Post by MILKWEED »

I was at my local Farm & Fleet and found Valspar Tractor/Implement paint- CC yellow, CC beige, and IH white, has anybody tried these for your paint projects? I have fenders and 1 wheel to paint when the weather warms up and am looking for opinions, $5 a can is a good price. The CC beige has an olive/gray tint that looks like a good match to the early white that is on 3 of the wheels while the IH white is a little more pale. I have read that Rustoleum almond is also a good match but there is no yellow paint that matches.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Valspar paint for CC

Post by dag1450 »

That price point sounds great. I have seen paint for like $20 can. Make sure you let us know the details.....how many coats to cover, color match, dry to touch ..stuff like that. Now I will need to find where that store is near me.... :beer:
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

MILKWEED
First and Last Name: Mark Johnson

Post by MILKWEED »

Looks like you can order from Valspars website if you don't have a retailer that sells it locally, Im likely going to pick up a couple cans and give it a shot when it gets warmer, I will update...…

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Opinions seem to be all over the place with the Valspar paint but then everyone has one don't they :lol: I never tried the stuff myself and stay with the Case/IH spray on.
The Rustoleum Almond is a good match but not spot on I think. I consider it a very handsome color. Here's a seat recently painted with it.
DSCN8117.JPG
DSCN8117.JPG (604.01 KiB) Viewed 7403 times

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

Tractor Supply also sells the Valspar tractor & implement paints for a reasonable cost.
I've used some of them and was satisfied with the results.
Keep in mind I don't do restorations and am somewhat easily appeased.
Official Member SCCG

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

TSC has stopped selling the valspar paints that was As of 2015 +-.
As for the quality I’m very happy with the results, about 3 coats for the yellow. I e been using the rustolum antique white and I’m happy with it as well. Only complaint with valspar is the tips clog if you only use a half a can. Next time around I’m Tossing that half, sometimes before I even finish that project. As in it clogues between coats. Even after using the upside down spray to clean trick.

althomas
First and Last Name: Al Thomas

Post by althomas »

I like the antique white also and found the rustoleum transport yellow to be pretty close to the 60's 70's yellow. :beer:

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

If I recall correctly it was Paul Bell that pointed out Ford Wimbeldon White as a direct match. It was an immensely popular color of that era which may be a reason why IH chose it, or perhaps they bought it in bulk and picked up a discount.
My Father had a 1967 Ford Country Squire painted that color. With the wood grain sides it was a very stylish ride. But with that 390FE engine it had trouble passing gas stations, 12 going downhill was doing good :lol: Torque monster that it was.
There are images and mix formulas for it posted on the web.
th.jpg
th.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 7385 times

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

JMotuzick wrote:TSC has stopped selling the valspar paints that was As of 2015 +-.
As for the quality I’m very happy with the results, about 3 coats for the yellow. I e been using the rustolum antique white and I’m happy with it as well. Only complaint with valspar is the tips clog if you only use a half a can. Next time around I’m Tossing that half, sometimes before I even finish that project. As in it clogues between coats. Even after using the upside down spray to clean trick.
I have had the same problem with Rustoleum. Rustoleum does not tolerate gas or even the fumes. I painted a B&S small engine gas tank and left it dry for 2 or 3 months. The first time I put gas in the tank and I only had maybe a quarter tank, the fumes wrinkled the paint around the vent hole in the cap. Krylon and Valspar seem to tolerate gas much better. Similar issue with a Clinton engine gas tank. I repainted the gas cap with Krylon and the paint was not affected by the fumes.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

Post by chzuck »

In my area Valspar paint is hard to find in enamel rattle cans. I found Valspar paint on the website I list below and they send it to some local hardware stores for you to pickup.
https://www.doitbest.com/
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

cholloway
First and Last Name: Colin Holloway

Post by cholloway »

JMotuzick wrote:TSC has stopped selling the valspar paints that was As of 2015 +-.
I wasn't aware of that.
I bought a can of Cub Cadet Yellow a week or so ago without looking at it.
Just saw it is by Yenkin Majestic Paint Corp in Columbus, OH.
I haven't used it yet... also waiting for weather to warm a bit.
Official Member SCCG

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Colin
Just return it! I’ve heard so many bad story’s I’ll never buy it!

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Wow...Ken..I never heard that. Code 9M. I know that color well. I painted a couple of my trucks that color. Loved it.. maybe why I like Cubs..lol. That color makes perfect sense for 1974 and earlier. Thanks for the info.
I still think rust oleum almond is super close to 935. Great match for 1986-89.
I really think what happens a lot of time is the white faded out and got whiter on the quiet line and older equipment. My 127 under the hood is pretty nice. At some point I now want to do a wimblton White test to that good under hood. Thanks for sharing that.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

wagonmaster
First and Last Name: Alan Saia

Post by wagonmaster »

As for the clogged nozzles, I keep a small baby food jar half full of lacquer thinner to store nozzles in.