New member and new owner

Please stop in here and check out the rules on the stickies and introduce yourself.
JCB43
First and Last Name: Justin Bootle

New member and new owner

Post by JCB43 »

Hello Folks!

I'm Justin from Virginia. I've lurked here for the past few months as I've shopped for my "new" tractor. My wife and I purchased a piece of property out in the country a couple of years ago. Since then, I've set about making improvements (at least, that's what I call them, the wife's not always convinced). We have a gravel driveway and 2.5 acres of which about one is cleared. The old owner used to pay someone to power rake the drive and just let the leaves fall where they chose. I started looking for a tractor to tame the property myself. I started my search on a green website, followed by orange and then yellow. One thing I found is that if you're going to buy a new garden tractor (not even a SCUT/CUT) with ground engaging capabilities, it could potentially set you back a 5-digit sum of money. Well, my pockets aren't deep enough for that. During this time I also began to realize that they simply "don't build them like they used to". When I began looking at old tractors I knew that's what I needed (or wanted?). I became the owner of a 149 today. It needs some tinkering and adjustments, but it starts, runs and moves pretty well. It's been stripped of it's goodies so I'll be doing some research to replace the looted goods (specifically the rear lift arm assembly). My intentions are not to restore, rather put this old girl back in service. I have on my shopping list the following: Rear Hydro Lift, Sleeve Hitch, Box Scraper, Harrows (or discs, depending on where you're from I suppose), Johnny Bucket loader (or full front end loader if I can find one REASONABLE), Ag tires, weights. Your thoughts on any of those items are welcome, good bad and the ugly.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: New member and new owner

Post by dag1450 »

Hey.... welcome! Sounds great. My first question that I thought of ....is there a house existing? Or will there be construction on this property? If it's an existing house then your on the right track. If there will need to be dirt work and lots of big projects.... you might want to buy a tractor with a dedicated loader....then you could sell when construction is done. Pics of the new 149?
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JCB43
First and Last Name: Justin Bootle

Post by JCB43 »

The house is existing, no major construction projects in the near future, just a 75' gravel driveway and some relatively flat wooded areas with a lot of old growth and leaves in the back. I'll take some pictures this evening and upload them. Thanks for the welcome.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Welcome!
Sounds your on the right track.
My suggestion a tractor for every implament. Loader, rear disc, mower, tiller etc

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

Welcome aboard. I second Joes suggestion of having more than one tractor. It makes it a lot easier when you don't need to dismount and mount different items during a weekend of work. Plus you can tailor a tractor for a specific task instead of having one tractor to do it all.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."