Social isolation projects

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Social isolation projects

Post by JMotuzick »

Lately I have been buying fixing and reselling cubs. I do around 10-20 a year. Some get mowers and some get plows, some get parted some get sold the same way I found them.

This spring I have been busy, I posted pictures of a big load about 3 weeks ago. Since then a friend dropped off 4, 2 129’s and 2 107’s. In a effort to get them all under cover (And to not have dead hydro to push) have been getting them to run/drive nothing more and then on to the next.

First up was a hydro lift 129, it got my last good battery. I parted one of the 107’s it had no engine and was very rough, rusty and the only thing it had goingbfor it was a set of lights, that had a broken mount....

So now I got the other 129 on the bench and was using my car battery jump box with cables but no battery to test run her. I got the tractor running good and wanted to drive/move it.

About 3 weeks ago at work another crew had left the Elevator on battery back up for the weekend. Needless to say the 2 small batteries where dead. We rushed out and got 2 new ones and got it going. I brought home the old ones in hopes of scraping them.

I figured I could charge the Elevator battery’s and use the car battery to start Elevator battery to run the coil. I haven’t been fixing any change issues just making them move for now. I made up a quick spade connector leads (only 14 gauge) and hooked up both battery’s in parallel giving a total of 28 amps to run the coil. Just for fun I hit the key on a warm 129... she popped right off!

Then on to the second 107, I got it going and still haven been avoiding stores. No new battery! I figured if it could start the 129 with 2 it could surely run with just one. I pulled one of the two batteries and left just one in the 129. By this point the 107 was warm and started easy on the car battery. I hooked up just one Elevator battery in the 107. Sure enough it started the warm 107 with just one! So back to the 129 it was cold at this point.... sure enough cold start 129 in my 60 degree garage!

I’m sure at 10 degrees it wouldn’t do it, but it certainly saved a trip to Walmart TSC or advanced auto! For now I’ll wait on going and once things clear up, I’ll end up clearing the shelf!

The little battery that could!
8107F062-A370-4141-A6EC-B4FC1D06E77E.jpeg
8107F062-A370-4141-A6EC-B4FC1D06E77E.jpeg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 3138 times

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Re: Social isolation projects

Post by dag1450 »

Looks like some fun projects you got going on there Joe....but in case you didn't notice those great little batteries you speak of have the virus! Send them back to the country of origin right away ....and stay years away for sure!
Couple years ago I needed batteries for a larger piece of equipment. The original new Holland batteries lasted a long time so I thought I would use those again.. until I saw the price. I forget how I found out that they were east Penn batteries just labeled for NH. I ended up with the Napa legend series becuse I was told they are made by East Penn and made in the USA. They were the exact battery I took out just with different sticker. All that to say I too need a tractor battery and I'm thinking I will look to see what East Penn has for these cubs.
Post some more pics of the cubs when you work on them Joe!
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

DAG
I will get a couple just for this thread, just to many to just post pictures of all of them!

As for the sick battery, I’m with you, most of the product I’m installing is coming from elsewhere. The main warehouse/factory is near Gettysburg Pennsylvania, but all they do there is sort out all the foreign parts. They might get a sea crate full of batterys but we only need 2, same goes for all the parts.... at one time the factory in New Jersey was huge, it’s just sad.

I bought a new battery for my wife’s suv back in November, I bought it at advanced auto, it had a auto zone sticker under the advanced sticker.... only a few places making batteries these days!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

A couple pictures.
F6532240-AC47-4E0C-A3C6-0AAD5F06F3A1.jpeg
F6532240-AC47-4E0C-A3C6-0AAD5F06F3A1.jpeg (2.73 MiB) Viewed 3124 times
129 manual lift
D5FB5EBB-7EFD-4704-9FCF-BE08129BD9FE.jpeg
D5FB5EBB-7EFD-4704-9FCF-BE08129BD9FE.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 3124 times
149 that I’ve been using, and my 1872 loader
B0918BC8-86A8-4C25-AB40-1DB78646071D.jpeg
B0918BC8-86A8-4C25-AB40-1DB78646071D.jpeg (3.23 MiB) Viewed 3124 times

Both the 107 and 129 cold started at 55 ish on one of those small batteries!

MushCreek
First and Last Name: John DeBree

Post by MushCreek »

I've been busy on corona projects, although it's more because I'm retired now, and have the time (if not the money). The latest was getting one of my Originals going after sitting for 15 years or so. I needed a GT for pulling a spreader and a drag harrow, and the O was the closest to being in usable condition. I rewired it, cleaned the points, and swapped out various ignition parts until I got spark. I cleaned up the best of the box of carbs I have, put gas in it, and it fired right up! I ordered some tune-up parts, and need to find tires, as the old ones are really dry-rotted. They hold air, though, so I can get a little work done. I have three more CC's to work on, so I won't get bored.
Two O's and two Model 70's