I like to suport the little guy, BUT

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
chzuck
First and Last Name: Charlie Zuck

I like to suport the little guy, BUT

Post by chzuck »

I like to give my business to the smaller businesses because I think the service is most times better. Well, I needed parts for a Cub repair and ordered what appeared to be all OEM parts. When the parts arrived and I noted a gasket was thinner than what I had purchased before from my local dealer, so I questioned the vendor. He sent me a photo of the original box that the gasket was supposedly in and which would have made shipping more costly because of the size. The sealed bag that the gasket was in had no labels indicating it was an OEM part or who made it. The holes were poorly punched with several having the material still in the hole. I went to my local dealer and bought the same gasket that came in the same box, but what was inside was not the same. It had a label that said CNH, had the part #, and was the thick gasket like I bought before. I choose not to cast a bad name of the vendor and will not mention his business here. I am writing this to make people look more at what they are buying and maybe to be sure, buy from your local dealer instead. Buyer beware!

To the vendors credit, he will give me a refund and pay postage to return the gasket.
http://www.zucksrototillers.com
There is only ONE ROTOTILLER.
147 with 48" mower deck & 42" QA snow thrower
70 with 42" mower deck, 42" blade, & Brinly 10" plow

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Re: I like to suport the little guy, BUT

Post by Klapatta »

Back in 1991 I went to the local Case IH dealership to purchase a new door switch for the dome light of my 79 Scout. I was astonished to learn that all products and parts for it were dropped from their product line. Only a few months before I had ordered some new windshield wiper arms with no problems whatsoever. The goverment mandated 10 year parts supply had expired between those time frames. Case IH dropped all light duty truck parts supply stone cold.
I believe it important for CCC to continue seeing parts demand for these classic machines and the only way to support that is by buying genuine parts. There is no mandate on their part to keep the parts supply open without a reasonable demand. It's also important to keep in mind many of these machines are at the fifty year age point, while indeed many smaller items have become NLA for a long time and the trend is most likely to continue. As a corporation their primary goal is to provide new machinery, and catering to a small segment that continues to keep these older machines going is secondary. We that continue to hobby and regular basis use these must continue to show a strong support.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

An excellent reason to stay with my local dealer, who is Messick's in Elizabethtown, PA. This dealer is amazing. Their whole parts inventory is available online so that you know before you go if they have the part in stock and what it will cost. I thought the part in question may have had an error in price since it had gone up a good bit in 3 years. I called back and spoke to the counter person who sold me the part and he took the time to look up the price history and explained all of that to me. I call that great service.

Tom Scott
Chief Moderator
First and Last Name: Tom Scott

Post by Tom Scott »

I also consider Messick's as my go-to dealership. Too far for me to drive, but they have flat-rate shipping of nearly any Cub part for about $6. You can be anywhere in the country and buy right off the website. Prices are generally slightly less than other sources as well.

Yeah, a lot of people hate that MTD bought Cub Cadet, but to their credit they have kept many of the older parts in production. Yes, they can be very expensive, but as less are sold the cost must go up to justify keeping them in production. I always prefer expensive to NLA, at least then I have a choice.

So I as well agree with the idea of buying factory Cub parts when possible, when it makes sense.
1872, 46", 50C decks, Haban dozer blade, 450 snow blower
2182-1, Kwik-Way Loader, 3-pt & rear pto, 442 tiller
2182-2, 54" deck, 551 snow blower
Past tractors:  1541, 2135
<><

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

Yea, I learned my lesson. Funny since I sent the vendor the photo of what should be in the box he has been silent. Just hope he is good and I get my refund. Till the next time I will buy gasket material of similar thickness and make my own. Hard to pay almost $30 for a plain old cover gasket.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I've knowingly bought some cheap gaskets on mowers that get minimal use and they come in clear unmarked bags. The oem ones come clearly marked as you said. I feel confident saying you were sent a generic part.
That being said I've settled for off brand or bought online because I will NOT Support my specific dealer. When I tore into a lot of them I went to the local John Deere dealer and bought all Kohler parts because the service was so much better and they were honest at least.
On a final note, I've also learned over the years the aftermarket parts for these engines are not the same quality and dont typically hold up over time. Whether it's a local dealer or online, an OEM part came from the same factory and still supports the company I guess... assuming you get said oem part. :beer:
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

I take offense when someone tries to fool me. Just glad I went to the dealer and got the OEM part. The part in question is the transmission rear cover gasket and I have had issues with mine leaking. The OEM gasket is almost twice as thick. I feel the vender, who I hope does not advertise on here lied to me. He would have me believe that the part was genuine by claiming it came form Case IH. Almost half of the holes were not punches completely through. Not something you would expect on an OEM part.

chzuck

Post by chzuck »

OK, time to eat crow. Seems I owe my vendor a huge apology. He checked with CNH and is seems there was a mistake in packaging. They replaced all 50 items in question and sent him an apology. Serves me right for jumping to conclusions. A lesson learned!
My brother worked for CNH and said that is not uncommon as they outsource to much these days.