Best use for a 147?

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
DennisThornton
First and Last Name: Dennis Thornton

Best use for a 147?

Post by DennisThornton »

Hi guys. I've browsed for a while but just now joined.

I have several Wheel Horses and Sears/AYP/Ropers, a Power King and a Bolens tube frame and a 147. Got a lot of attachments for several of them as well. I don't like swapping attachments and I probably have tractors that I don't have to if I choose well.

Different brands do some things better than others. Some setup better or at least differently than others. I have quite a bit of experience with garden tractors but none with any Cub Cadets including this 147. What might be the best use of a very sturdy hydro 147? What are you folks most pleased with? It has nothing to do with my needs, rather what it does best? Or better than other brands?

One thing that stands out to me is that besides the Power King this is the only one that has steering brakes. I think that hydros are better suited to snow blowers and chores that would otherwise need a lot of gear shifting.

But you guys have the experience with Cubs! What's the best use for a 147?

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Re: Best use for a 147?

Post by ksanders »

First welcome!

Second it might have had external brakes but not turning brakes unless someone added them. Some cubs had internal, some external. IH went back and forth over the years.

The 147 should have electric lift factory. If it's working its great for a plow and mower deck is nice too because it doesn't seep down like hydro lift and infinitely adjustable unlike manual lift. Unfortunately the lift is underpowered for a tiller and such in my opinion without a spring assist and can strip the expensive gears. I guess the next question would be as a collector of other brands what attachments do you have for the 147 specifically or would you buy whatever for it? It's considered a narrow frame and a lot of the basic attachments are historically fairly cheap and common. The 147 is the highest horsepower narrow frame they made and came before the balance gears (if I remember right) that plagued those engines and before the iso mounts that commonly failed.

Lastly we love pictures.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

Thanks for the welcome!

You ARE correct, externals, not steering. I'd forgotten that and just kept the visual of the twin discs over the trans. Now I remember that it was my plan to look around and see if someone had converted one to steering. I guess for now the only GT with steering brakes is my PK.
It has a manual lift and all I have for it is the mower deck. I really don't need another mower but unfortunately I don't see many Cubs or attachments around here. I don't need it but I've always wanted a Cub and now I have one and can wait for an attachment.

I really don't need for a common attachment, but, if a loader for it came along, otherwise if it was better at something than one of my other GTs then I'd just use the Cub instead. It really does look rugged and I've heard good things about them.

Thanks for your thoughts! I appreciate it.

dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

Post by dag1450 »

Welcome. Nice job on the 147! You picked a good one..and a little bit rare of a cub. I'm not sure of the production numbers but based on my radar they seem less than many others. I really like the 147s. I think they have great style! For you being in ny you should look for a blower. The single stage for those machines really can do some damage to a messy driveway. Dry or wet snow I have found. That would b a q36 or a q42. I personally would look for a "qa42". The "qa" was made a few years after the 147 but has a few nice upgrades and still looks almost identical to the "q". Cub wheel weights will set you back more than the blower. Actually i think the proper name is a snow thrower? Yeah send us some pics.
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

JMotuzick
First and Last Name: Joe Motuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dag
I think you mean qa42 vs qa42a. The “a” is newer and most people say it refers to the fact that it’s adjustable for the wide frame.

I’m not a fan of the single stage blowers, 2 stage or nothing for me!

I have 2 147’s one I converted to manual for the original owner. Now it just sits on the shelf,hasn’t worked in about 5 years. The other 147 has been converted to hydro lift, it has the tiller attached permanently. It’s been about 10 years since it’s been there.

If your looking for a cub with a loader, just keep looking till you find the loader with a cub! Unless someone else went through the mechanics of the tractor I would just find a “new” tractor. I had a loader on a 125 for years, I found it a bit small for my needs and up-graded to a super when the opportunity presented itself.

As for the best attachments for a 147? All up to debate!

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

..thanks Joe. I'm 50 now...so I guess that was a senior moment. Lol.
IMG_20210217_100635976.jpg
IMG_20210217_100635976.jpg (560.07 KiB) Viewed 9477 times

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

Thanks guys!
It's a tougher question since I really don't need it or any attachments for it, but I still want it, so I'm just trying to set it up how it would be the best it could. I don't need a single stage since I have more than one 2 stage blower, but if a blower came by I'd consider it.

Not sure I want a loader without power steering either.

I am happy to have my 147 and that there is a group that is fond of them. I have several Wheel Horses and I'd have been lost without a good forum!

Thanks again! Oh! How do I setup my account so I get notifications when you folks reply to my posts?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

...man...all you single stage hater's. Come on Ken...tell them how the blower saves you every winter! And that in Vermont so that's saying something. It's really about appreciation for using what technology they had back in the day your machine was made. Lol.

SWilliams
First and Last Name: Steve Williams

Post by SWilliams »

I like a single stage in wet sloppy snow or in loose fluffy stuff. The two stage units work good in fluffy to heavier but not wet snow. If it's gotten to the point the snow leaks water when you pack it, the single is the better option, or a blade.
What would I put on a 147? Being a hydro I'd look for a tiller, or sickle bar mower if either was desired. However it depends a lot on what is needed. Looks like Dennis is up north Near Plattsburg so a thrower would be a valid item, especially if you have sidewalks or a driveway to clear.
Owner of an 1863, 2263 (1863 W 22hp engine!) 2084 and a 2 - 2284s.

"In God we trust, All others pay CASH..."

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

I have little to no experience with single stages but I've heard for years that the 2 stage is better, especially in slush. I do have lots of experience with 2-stages and they are fabulous in dry snow yet still very tricky in slush! My 35 hp, 74" 2-stage is a 4sp with 2sp rear so there is plenty of HP and speed control and it will blow slush to China until I drop the PTO speed and it will then fill the chute with ice! Others have suggested that a hydro is better choice for a blower to keep the PTO rpms up. Again, no experience but I think if the PTO rpms stayed up it would be much better. Oh! I'm in way Upstate NY and we get snow! Sometimes 2 ft at a time!

I have a rear Wheel Horse tiller but I'd consider trying the 147 as well.

Seems the 147 was the top end of the narrow frames and I gather that CCs are a first choice for pullers, so to me that indicates being tough! But I'm not going to "pull" so I'm still wondering what to do with it.

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

I recently saw a Cub blower for sale and while it was not the correct model it got me thinking that since this 147 is manual lift maybe that's not the best use for it. I have a WH and Bolens with manual snow blade and I'm fine with those but a blower is much heavier. Does my experience apply to this 147 as well?

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Dave, I did not mount the thrower on the 126 this year and the little 102 is filling that void just fine for the most part. The 126 will be getting an engine change out this Spring being the reason, it's getting tired and I don't want so smash anything.
The qa42a does have some advantages over the qa42. The standard four paddle auger does seem to perform somewhat better overall. The qa42a also has an improved auger chute. However they do tend to interfere with the opening of the hood much more. They have additional OSHA guarding which may or may not be an improvement depending on one's point of view. One big disadvantage of the aq42a auger is that it has a driven sprocket that is not replaceable unlike the one on the qa42.
I never cared very much for the way the mountings on the qa42a seem to flop around, the older platform being much more rigid. The best of both worlds I think for a narrow frame application would be a hybrid of the qa42 mount and housing along with the qa42a 4 paddle auger and discharge chute, something that I have yet to build.
The 126 and 147 were among the end of the line for the narrow frame series and the 147 will also have the frame notch to accept the larger flywheel. Those frames are considered as among the best for stock class pullers due to lack of modification needed. Please don't go there.
With plenty of power and variable speed drive it would make for an outstanding candidate for snow removal service.

ksanders
First and Last Name: Kevin Sanders

Post by ksanders »

I agree on not using a loader on it. Not only do you not have power steering, the lifting capabilities are limited and the narrow frame front axle spindles were upgraded after the narrow frames for a reason.

As for the blower, yes it's a lot of weight for a manual lift. The 147 will have that chrome handle that won't bend like the earlier ones could. An easy fairly inexpensive option is just find a spring assist for it. They aren't terribly rare.
From the first Original to the last x82 Series... you can't beat an IH Cub Cadet!!!

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Kevin
All 147’s had electric lift. If converted, it could have been converted to either Crome or painted manual lift.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

Yes, as Joe mentions converting over to the chrome manual lift should not present much of a problem and the spring assist would help a lot. I'm not much of a fan of those E lifts, even the ones with the later internal clutch override. A hydro lift would make the chore a breeze but those do seem to be getting pricey.
The external hydro lifts are very stout. I put one on my 126 back in 2013 and are very pleased with it. Just as a test, I raised the blade and slid a concrete block under it. Pulling back on the handle with the engine at no more than a fast idle it lifted the front of the machine clean off the ground effortlessly.
DSCN2956.JPG
DSCN2956.JPG (262.7 KiB) Viewed 9256 times
Due to the gusset extensions on the frame of the 147 one would have to space the pump outward somewhat for clearance, I have seen it done. A longer belt may be required in doing so, but really I'm not sure about that. The pump mounting bracket does have a lot of travel, it would be a matter of finding out during mock up.

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

Klapatta wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:35 pm
Dave, I did not mount the thrower on the 126 this year and the little 102 is filling that void just fine for the most part. The 126 will be getting an engine change out this Spring being the reason, it's getting tired and I don't want so smash anything.
The qa42a does have some advantages over the qa42. The standard four paddle auger does seem to perform somewhat better overall. The qa42a also has an improved auger chute. However they do tend to interfere with the opening of the hood much more. They have additional OSHA guarding which may or may not be an improvement depending on one's point of view. One big disadvantage of the aq42a auger is that it has a driven sprocket that is not replaceable unlike the one on the qa42.
I never cared very much for the way the mountings on the qa42a seem to flop around, the older platform being much more rigid. The best of both worlds I think for a narrow frame application would be a hybrid of the qa42 mount and housing along with the qa42a 4 paddle auger and discharge chute, something that I have yet to build.
The 126 and 147 were among the end of the line for the narrow frame series and the 147 will also have the frame notch to accept the larger flywheel. Those frames are considered as among the best for stock class pullers due to lack of modification needed. Please don't go there.
With plenty of power and variable speed drive it would make for an outstanding candidate for snow removal service.
I will keep an eye out for a QA42A. Don't need another blower but it's nice to have backups. Things happen!
Thanks for the input!

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

ksanders wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:47 pm
I agree on not using a loader on it. Not only do you not have power steering, the lifting capabilities are limited and the narrow frame front axle spindles were upgraded after the narrow frames for a reason.

As for the blower, yes it's a lot of weight for a manual lift. The 147 will have that chrome handle that won't bend like the earlier ones could. An easy fairly inexpensive option is just find a spring assist for it. They aren't terribly rare.
I did not know those specific not as strong as other model points. Don't think I'd like a loader without PS anyway. And yes, I'm sure I could find or build some sort of assist spring.

Thanks!

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

JMotuzick wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 pm
Kevin
All 147’s had electric lift. If converted, it could have been converted to either Crome or painted manual lift.
Not sure why someone would have converted it, but perhaps an electric failure was more expensive than a manual. Don't know, but this has a Chrome manual lift.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I would love to get a factory hydraulic set up for the 127.. but yeah they are pricey. My father had one on his 126 back in the day. Then he got a dual spool from a fork lift at Budd and we had power up .. and sideways. That was living! On my 127 I have a (as joe calls it) "q36" blower. :lol: . I lift it with the stock handle without too much effort. A 42 inch would probably require a spring assist. I think spring assist are over 100 bucks also. I don't know if a heavy duty spring from the hardware store is possible to fix somewhere safely? Any pics of the 147?

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Pictures are nice!
I have a few spring assists if your looking for OEM

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

Don't have good pictures of my 147 yet. Is this the proper lift spring?
BRINLY SPRING ASSIST BR 1775.jpg
BRINLY SPRING ASSIST BR 1775.jpg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 9160 times

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Do you have a rear sleeve hitch? If so then yes it will work. If you do not have the sleeve hitch option then, no it will not work. Due to the way the rock shaft works, it will assist all attachments front mid rear.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

I will start by saying...like I indicated in my last post I don't have a spring assist for my 127.
I think the one in your picture is not the general use assist. As the picture says...brinly. that is probably for a rear plow? If it does the same thing...I can't answer that. This is what I think is the ih lift kit for the narrow frame. I believe it bolts somewhere in the rear frame...then comes forward to the lift handle. I believe. Someone else should confirm my blabbing. Maybe charlie can confirm if he has a spring assist on his one forty seven?
IH-399481-R91 NFspringassist.jpg
IH-399481-R91 NFspringassist.jpg (190.05 KiB) Viewed 9147 times

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

JMotuzick wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:36 pm
Do you have a rear sleeve hitch? If so then yes it will work. If you do not have the sleeve hitch option then, no it will not work. Due to the way the rock shaft works, it will assist all attachments front mid rear.
Not yet but I had planned on it.
Thanks!

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

dag1450 wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:37 pm
I will start by saying...like I indicated in my last post I don't have a spring assist for my 127.
I think the one in your picture is not the general use assist. As the picture says...brinly. that is probably for a rear plow? If it does the same thing...I can't answer that. This is what I think is the ih lift kit for the narrow frame. I believe it bolts somewhere in the rear frame...then comes forward to the lift handle. I believe. Someone else should confirm my blabbing. Maybe charlie can confirm if he has a spring assist on his one forty seven? IH-399481-R91 NFspringassist.jpg
Things are getting complicated... But I appreciate some guidance in the fog!
I picture it having a clevis hitch. Maybe an assist spring would be handy then.

JMotuzick

Post by JMotuzick »

Dag
Your picture is the IH. NArrow frame spring assist it will work on the 147.

The first picture is of the brinly assist it will help lift all attachments but mounts directly to the sleeve hitch.

DennisThornton

Post by DennisThornton »

JMotuzick wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:35 pm
Dag
Your picture is the IH. NArrow frame spring assist it will work on the 147.

The first picture is of the brinly assist it will help lift all attachments but mounts directly to the sleeve hitch.
Thanks!