Cast iron rear swap

Here's where you can post your Cub Cadet based specials. Actually, if it's cool and not Cub based, post it anyway!
MattS
First and Last Name: Matthew Spinazzola

Cast iron rear swap

Post by MattS »

Well first I just want to say I have a whole new appreciation for the Registry. You really don't know what you've got till it's gone!

I finally picked up a CI rear for my project build. It is out of an 82 series and has an internal brake. I want to run external brakes. What do you guys usually do with the brakes? Should I use the brake pivot that is on my tractor? or get the external arms and linkage for the ci rear? Remove the internal brake pads or just plug the hole with the pads inside?

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: Cast iron rear swap

Post by mgonitzke »

It would help to know what model tractor you're trying to put it on ;)
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

MattS

Post by MattS »

It used to be a 582, but it is going hydro.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Matt,
I would use the brake pivot and linkage that is mounted on the frame. I don't know what to say about the internal brakes. Since they are pretty easy to find,
I would just use an external brake rear instead if you want to use the external brakes.

If you decide to keep the rear you have now, I would remove all the internal brake parts and figure out a way to plug the plunger hole. Maybe tap it for a pipe plug.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

rweaver
First and Last Name: Ray Weaver

Post by rweaver »

i would find a external brake rear as well just like todd said they are cheaper than wet brake rears so you will have money in your pocket from the exchange find a puller they want the wet brake rears

MattS

Post by MattS »

I wish I new that before I drove two hours one way and paid $50 bucks for it. I will probably part out a 127 I got to get the rear. Life is hard without the archives.

junderwood
First and Last Name: John Underwood

Post by junderwood »

I have been making plans for a swap like this and I think I would use an internal brake setup. My thought is to hook the internal brake up to the hydro control and use it for the primary park brake. Then I was going to set the external brakes up for the dual pedals to use as turning brakes mostly. Now I am starting with a super frame for my build and it is a somewhat specialized build, but I thought this might be a good setup.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

junderwood wrote:I have been making plans for a swap like this and I think I would use an internal brake setup. My thought is to hook the internal brake up to the hydro control and use it for the primary park brake. Then I was going to set the external brakes up for the dual pedals to use as turning brakes mostly. Now I am starting with a super frame for my build and it is a somewhat specialized build, but I thought this might be a good setup.
That's probably what I would do, too.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

rharris
First and Last Name: Rick Harris

Post by rharris »

Ditto. Remember, the 82 series has the drivetrain angled to account for higher engine mounting points. I have been told that the factory external brake linkage will have clearance issues with the bottom of the frame.

I have an 1810/1811 with a cast rear from a 149. I removed all of the brake linkage from the trans and connected the calipers directly to the secondary brake rockshaft that the newer 720,000 and up Cubs have under the frame. If you have an 82 series cub between 665,001 and 719,999 it may be simpler to use the internal brake rear.
Building my Cub Cadet fleet....one bolt at a time.

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

rharris wrote:Ditto. Remember, the 82 series has the drivetrain angled to account for higher engine mounting points. I have been told that the factory external brake linkage will have clearance issues with the bottom of the frame.
I can attest to that. Tried it on my 582 when I put a 126 rear in it. I had to use the CCC brake linkage because the linkage for the CI rear hit the frame.

MattS

Post by MattS »

The parking brake idea sounds good. I think I will get an external brake rear though and save my internal brake rear for a future project.