GOOD paint - BAD paint

Here is where we can talk about all things Cub and then some. Please follow the golden rule and respect others.
This is a free forum and all pictures posted here are for public consumption. They are free to be used as long as you are not using them in a for-profit manner. Also, any pictures subject to copyright or permissions will be removed.
dag1450
First and Last Name: Dave Gibson

GOOD paint - BAD paint

Post by dag1450 »

One of the 2072's is in need of paint, or maybe i should say all tractors are behaving so i'm looking for a project. what ever the reason ,I have looked into buying paint and now my head is spinning.There are a lot of choices when it comes to brands.I think i have the right part # for the 2072 MTD-759-3263 yellow , 759-3264 white both in the quart . I can cross referance these # to Case/IH,PPG,Napa,... . What i am most concerned with is paint that is going to look like the original color !. I don't want to do all this work and in the end mess up my pride and joy.If some of you can write in with GOOD paint, BAD paint stories and most of all true to color . Spray gun and spray can. I do have a HVLP gun with a little experience. I would really appreciate the help . Dave
127, 1650, 1572, 1872, 2072 . A mower, blower and blade for each.

mgonitzke
First and Last Name: Matt Gonitzke

Re: GOOD paint - BAD paint

Post by mgonitzke »

I have used PPG 'Shop Line' with good results. I would definitely paint a tractor with it again. The colors looked great to me. IMO, you would probably be happy with just about any auto paint.
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Dave C
Web Developer
First and Last Name: David Chester

Post by Dave C »

well i have painted with everything from ace hardware ruststopper or whatever... to Dupont Imron!
There is a difference.... about 375 bucks! along other things..... I have been doing some painting with PPGs concept.... i guess is no longer available.... but i just painted a tractor with a paint called Matrix..... same exact thing as PPG but a bit cheaper.... in fact the parts are interchangeable..... easy to mix... 1 to 1 and easy to paint... and a nice hard glossy finish... i was impressed..... a "finished" gallon was like $150..... 2 quarts paint and 2 quarts activator.... im gonna try to paint a CC with it soon.

i would never use rattle cans.... and 2 step is a bit advanced.... but a decent single stage in the middle would be my advise.... and if you mess up just sand it down and paint it again! you WILL get it right eventually!
Trying to save cubs... one at a time.......

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

If i would use auto paint can i take my cub part #'s and they will match it or should i do homework on that? also i was thinking 1 Qt of paint mixed with thinner and hardner would be more than enough.What do you think? Dave

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

You will need 2 quarts of yellow if not more. I used 1 1/2 to do a 100 with no fenders. A 2072 has a lot more surface area. You'll probably get away with 1 qt. of white. Here's a paint cross-reference:
Original, 582 w/ 18 hp Kohler Command, 682 w/ Kwik-Way loader, 782, 782D, 1872 My Cub Site

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

The yellow i have used is

Dupont
98523X the x means some sort of quantity code or something

They should be able to cross is to ppg etc....

I have painted 4 tractors..... and these were every nut and bolt resto's... including complete engine overhaul and tranny overhauls.... the yellow doenst cover well! im pretty sure they all used 3 to 4 quarts of actual paint.... plus activator etc..... i have painted a few Fcubs W-4 F12 and i used LESS paint to paint those tractors!

i might have some more numbers around..... its on the "todo" list

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

I can tell you that Cub Cadet brand paint is crap!I have always been told that paint is sold as a "system",you use one companies products from start to finish and you get a known result.When I used Cub paint the dealer said to just use what ever thinner/reducer you can find.It worked but scuffed and chipped very easily.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Mike, are you talking about the cub cadet/mtd paint in the white and green can? I was just looking at that and the case /ih/newholland,i think it's called iron guard.Both sell for around $30 a qt. A cub web site has both thanks Dave

BigMike
First and Last Name: Mike Andrews

Post by BigMike »

The stuff I got was MTD/Cub Cadet but was not Iron Gard.....at least it did not say Iron Gard.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

If you go that route.... which is pretty much the 2nd cheapest route.... but certainly better than rattle cans... You should add some hardener to the paint.... any acrylic enamel hardener The can normally says "super wet look" not sure who makes it but any automotive paint store should have it. And any thinner/reducer for acrylic enamel will work... if your the least bit worried mix a tiny amount to be sure it mixes ok.

vince_o
First and Last Name: Vince Ochiuto

Post by vince_o »

Not by any means are my paint jobs resto quality, more of a rust deturant. Ive used the Valspar at TSC with lots of hardner with good results.

Remember my stuff stays out doors and in the woods.
"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
-Andrew Jackson

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks for all the coments,very helpful. I went to my local auto paint store yesterday and they said what would work best for me would be ppg urithaine enamel.I was shocked at the price for 1 qt. of paint , primer and related thinners , hardners , activators $250. It sounds like from you guys i need more than 1 qt. Dave C. you where right there on your price of over $350. Well i have to do something but i don't think i will be using ppg. I have 3 little boys , maybe finger paint... :o . dave

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

That's probably the high-end 'Delstar'. You need their economy line, 'Shop Line' also called 'Omni' some places. The paint is less than $30/quart, plus you'll need primer and stuff too, but you'll probably only spend $250 or so total with that instead of $250/quart.

Dave C
Web Developer

Post by Dave C »

Yea like mike said..... thats certainly the higher end of the spectrum...... look around for a "Matrix" paint dealer..... they must have a website with a dealer locator

a quart of paint is like 30 bucks and a quart of activator is like 30 bucks....

or as matt said PPG does or did make a cheaper line

I just finished painting a Farmall F-12 and used the matrix.... paint was 150 bucks for a "finished" gallon and thats everything i needed except primer

I also bought a gallon of primer at the time which was 100 bucks....including the activator, but a gallon is enough for 4 or 6 cub cadets. Im sure u can get primer in quarts also.

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

The NAPA Crossfire line is another economy line automotive paint. I have been using it for 10 years and have always had good luck with it. It is around $36 per quart.
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Todd ,I heard of the napa crossfire line ,maybe from a cub paint chart i saw online? A few weeks back i called about 6 Napa stores and none sold paint and could not help to direct me to one that does. My local Tractor Supply did not have the colors in stock and i don't think the staff knew they even carried tractor paint(if you know what i mean). I'm not trying to make this hard .Thanks for the help! Dave

Scott C.
First and Last Name: Scott Cross

Post by Scott C. »

We don't stop playing because we grow old....
We grow old because we stop playing.

Klapatta
First and Last Name: Kenneth LaPatta

Post by Klapatta »

I can't recall now exactly how it was that I came across this number for the IH 483B paint that was used around 1969, 70 on the Cub Cadets. But I do think it probably had something to do with some very dusty chip charts that I had a chance to take a look at years ago.
483B was supposed to have more rust inhibiting agents mixed in than the standard 483 blend and if I recall correctly, according from what Mr. Bell had brought up during discussion years back, it was used on the Cubs as part of a leftover batch from some huge highway department order. Or something like that :?
If I have got any or all parts of that information incorrect my apology is forthcoming- that particular discussion was roughly six years ago.
At any rate, in spite of my novice status as a spray painter, it did provide very nice results on that one group of small parts and the color match seemed right on.
DSCN1094.JPG

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Made out pretty good today, finally found a napa store that handles paint (although they never heard of the crossfire line )that store is about 40 min away. I also looked up Matrix paint and there are 2 suppliers listed not too far away. The web site brags about how much cheaper $$ there products are. I hope to contact them and find out. I will post back once i find out. The cub is in pieces, in a holding pattern because i dont want to even prime anything till i find out what brand i am going to use. Dave

Farmallgray
First and Last Name: Todd Markle

Post by Farmallgray »

Dave,
What part of PA are you in?
See my IH, Cub Cadet and tractor pulling youtube videos;
http://www.youtube.com/user/farmallgray

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Todd,I am in central Bucks county Pa ,15 min north of Willow Grove , 10 min south of Doylestowns If that helps. I made contact with a Matrix dealer today, he said out the door with everthing should be under $150 .He can cross the color from the PPG # 81518 that i got online at cub cadet FAQ's. Thats no primer . Nothing is down to bare metal so i was maybe going to try to spot prime with spray cans but i did not ask him about that :?: . thanks Dave

mgonitzke

Post by mgonitzke »

If you are painting over existing paint, you need to prime to avoid any incompatibility between the two layers of paint. Don't use rattle cans either...use the primer that's part of the paint system. That will ensure you won't have any compatibility issues.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Thanks guys for weighing in on my paint project. I finally decided on PPG Delfleet Essential Polyurethane paint. It cost more than I hoped, $150 for 1 qt of paint and 1qt primer etc. but I am happy with it and it covered with 1 1/2 coats. My home made paint booth worked great.

I have some pics but not sure how to post them, any help would be appreciated.

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

My nephew finally came over and posted these pictures for me. (Thanks Daniel)
IMG_1867 (800x600).jpg
Paint booth in garage.
IMG_1868 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Sanded ready to paint.
primer (800x600).jpg
Epoxy primer.
IMG_1877 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Two coats of polyurathane.
IMG_1878 (800x600).jpg
The frame -hardest to paint with all the surface levels.

1 quart of paint did all this work with some to spare, very good coverage, very hard surface, and very shiny. :D

WinterHawk77
First and Last Name: Rick Dyer

Post by WinterHawk77 »

Dave, A good friend is a matrix dealer, we found the PPG codes for Federal yellow & 901 white, however Matrix did not list a formula for either. Do you have any code or formula info from your previous Matrix experience?

dag1450

Post by dag1450 »

Rick, I think you are asking Dave Chester this Matrix question, but i will give you a final thought on my PPG paint project last year.
This was my first real paint project and i am planing another this summer on the 1572, i wanted to practice on something before doing the diesel
The pro's: my dealer was close to home, very important as i made many trips
Very good coverage ,one light and one average coat had it coverd
Easy to spray with a $50 spray gun
The con's:The federal yellow i think was a little to bright. The PPG code also had a list of other uses like dodge truck, school bus, safty yellow ?????
The 935 white was not to close ,i had to have them doctor it up to get close to the right color
The final cured paint i feel was to hard for a tractor, i had a great bond but when it chiped it CHIPED

I am going to buy a qt of case /ih Iron Gaurd Paint (935 white )from a tractor dealer and try it on a 54" front blade and 60 inch deck i am redoing.
A qt is like $17 plus hardner, If anything i hope the color is right on.
I will post when it's done